Thursday, May 5, 2011

May 5, 2011

May 5, 2011 - 1:30 PM

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!!!! And what a wonderful day it is today! It's nice and sunny and we have a lot to do! 

So far, today has been great! We had our usual breakfast of toast and then hurried to class. BOTH of my teachers told me today that I am getting better so I am so happy!! Ok let me give a little background for my next story. Hopefully it makes sense. On the first day, our teacher, Belèn, asked how old I was. I told her I was 18 and another boy in my class, Erik, said he was 18. Then, Belèn started saying we were the babies of the class and I told her that I turned 19 this week. So then she started calling Erik the baby. So today, Erik remembered that it was my birthday and shouted "Feliz Cumpleaños!" in the middle of class! So then, Belèn pulled up YouTube and had everyone sing happy birthday to me! Then, she said that it is tradition in Spain to kiss the birthday person on the cheek and pull their ear down the number of times they are turning, if that makes sense. She said it gives the birthday person good luck! So, my teacher kissed me on the cheek, which isn't that weird considering people greet like that here, and then pulled down on my ear 19 times. Then the girl kissed my other cheek and pulled on my ear 19 times. I thought it was quite hilarious! In my second class, they sang happy birthday to me again!

So now, I am just waiting for Adelay to get out of her medical Spanish class and then we will go home and eat. Then, later today, we are going to a museum and we are taking a cooking class! I'm so excited! 

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! How exciting to be spending it in Spain! I love the tradition they do over there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Korinne! It was definitely different, but so fun!

    ReplyDelete