Saturday, May 14, 2011

May 14, 2011

May 14, 2011

Today was quite a day! At 10 o clock, we left for our excursion. First, we stopped by a really cool convent/palace in Tordesillas.  It was sweet! The whole time we were there, I kept thinking of the Treaty of Tordesillas, which was the first ID I ever wrote in American Studies ha ha. Then we drove a short way to El Castillo de la Mota. I think it is the most authentic castle I have ever been in! We got to wander around in the walls of the castle where they would shoot cannons and stuff. It was super cool! 

Then, we drove a little ways to this random castle. I think it had the potential to be really cool because it was one of those things where all if the workers are dressed up and acting as they tell you about the place. However, it was siesta time, so they were having lunch and then they were closed for a bit. So that was kind of a waste of time. 

After that, we drove to Valladolid. Here, I witnessed my first bull fight. It was interesting to watch because it's part of Spanish culture and it has been for so long, but it's so sad, and it kinda made me feel sick after! The beginning of each fight wasn't bad because they are kinda just wearing the bull out before the matador comes out to fight it. And even when they first come out, it isn't too bad. But once they start trying to stab it through the heart, i can't watch anymore  Each of the matadors, surprisingly, were between the ages of 16 and 24! We watched 4 different bull fights and there wasn't one that killed the bull the first time the sword went in. So the bull is just bleeding like crazy. I think that's sufficient enough detail, but it was really gory and really sad. 

Then, we headed home. I forgot to mention that for our lunch, Ana packed us jamón sandwiches. Spain is famous for their jamón, and they have shops to buy it EVERYWHERE! The shops basically have legs of meat just hanging from everywhere and they smell DISGUSTING! You don't even have to go in! You can just smell it when you walk past! Anyways, I was totally fine to never have some, but that was our lunch. Needless to say, I wasn't a huge fan. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but I definitely wouldn't mind not having it again. Anyway, we came back to Salamanca and got ice cream, but it was super windy tonight so we didn't stay out long. 

Well I'm going to get to bed! Good night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment