Sunday, May 22, 2011

May 21, 2011

May 21, 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY FAVORITE BROTHER-IN-LAW! I miss you, Spence! 

Today has been a really tiring day! We had to get up at 6 to be to the bus stop by 7:30! So needless to say, I'm a little sleepy right now. 

After a three hour bus ride, our first stop was León. In León, we went through this museum that was interesting, but not my favorite. Then we went to one of the most beautiful cathedrals I have ever been to! It had so many stained glass windows and they were all so beautiful! I wasn't totally sure if I was allowed to take pictures, but a ton of people were, so I started to take pictures too! Anyway, this old man came up to me and started saying something in Spanish fast and all I picked out was photos and eyes so I was thinking shoot! He's totally telling me only to look, not take pictures! Then he told me to follow him and so Kristen and I walked over to the wall and he was telling me to take a picture of this face carved into the wall that had three eyes. It was hilarious! Ha ha 

After we got out of the cathedral, Liliana told us that we had 2 hours until we had to be back to the bus, so we could do whatever we wanted. So Kelsey and I wandered through a couple of shops and then we decided to go find a bench and get some sun! So we were both laying there for a while and then I opened my eyes because I could hear birds and I totally had this feeling that I was going to get pooped on so I started to sit up and then right then, I got pooped on! It was DISGUSTING! Luckily, it was only on my arm and we were right by a fountain so I went over to the fountain and rinsed off my arm and then put on some hand sanitizer. Then, we decided to go lay on an open patch of grass, which was much safer :) It felt so good to just soak in some sun and now I finally have some color in my cheeks! 

For lunch, Ana packed us each an apple and a chicken and pepper sandwich that was delicious! 

So then we drove to Astorga. First, we went to a building that was designed and built by Gaudi, who also did the Sagrada Familia and sweet apartment building in Barcelona. It was cool, but not the best. Then, we went to yet another cathedral. Once again, it was cool, but not as awesome as the one in León. Afterwards, we went to the Museo del Chocolate. It wasn't exactly, but still cool. They let us sample chocolate at the end and it was delicious! Even though it was pricier than grocery store chocolate, I bought some because the cacao came from Ghana! But I'm saving it for you, Deej, and the rest of the family, because it's delicious! 

We then loaded the bus and came back to Salamanca. I ran to the school while everyone ran home to drop their stuff off before dinner. I got to talk to my mom for a little while and to Perry, who got his call to Sierra Leone, which is AWESOME! 

We then met at a place that I have been wanting to try since we arrived in Salamanca. It's a kebap place, and it has always looked so good to me. I had my first kebap in Segovia and I LOVED it, so I have been dying to try this place. It was so delicious! I don't know if it's the same thing that Ray mentions in his emails every once in a while, but if it is, I totally understand why he loves it! The kebap that I get is called durüm kebap and it's basically a big tortilla filled with shredded lettuce, thinly sliced hot beef, and a really yummy ranch dressing-like sauce. I love it! While we were eating, Alan just randomly said, "Jessica, I think you're black." ha ha ha SO RANDOM! I just busted up laughing! He says because I like rap and because I have to dance when music comes on that I'm black. I don't exactly understand his reasoning, but I thought it was kinda funny. 

After dinner, we walked over to the park and played a version of Never Have I Ever that was fun and then we played Mafia. I was the first one to be killed, though, so that was too bad. I totally knew I was going to die first, too! Before Alan told us who died, I leaned over to Kelsey and said, "It's probably me." And I was totally right! That's the second time I had premonition today! First the bird poop and then mafia! 

Then we came back home, where we are now. It's 1 AM and I need sleep. Oh really quick: My arms are bright red from laying in the sun for an hour and a half and I have the worst farmers tan because I forgot to roll me sleeves up! Anyway... Hasta mañana!  

No comments:

Post a Comment